OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:30 pm 
Rock Crawler

Jeremy wrote:
I replaced the fuel filter not long ago along with the vacuum fuel pump. The original pump went bad and I replaced it with a vacuum pump for a garden tractor. I also used a generic see thru fuel filter that looks clean inside. With a lot of things I believe in using factory parts but with a fuel filter and vacuum fuel pump I wouldn't think using these parts instead of original Suzuki parts would make a differerence, right?
I will give it a carb rebuild, check the breather hose, check the throttle cable, Check the driveshafts and maybe try another spark plug before I ride again.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Based on the symptoms and a non-factory fuel pump of unknown specs that would be the first thing to look at. Sounds like you are not getting enough fuel at the higher rpm and high load situations.
- fuel pump not supplying enough fuel
- vacuum not working correctly, or calibrated correctly for needs
- make sure vacuum hoses are not collapsing.....high load, more vacuum, wrong hose = sucks the hose shut and restricts vacuum
- could be the carb is dirty, fuel lines dirty, or simply needs a new spark plug

Can't say I've ever ridden that exact machine but have spent a lot of time on similar or even smaller size quads over the years and can't imagine any of them bogging down in 1st gear high range before losing traction.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 pm 
Supporting Member

sounds like a bad carb diaphram could be the problem. I had that happen on my 300 arctic cat, it had the same motor. the carb opens up based on incoming air flow, theres a diphragm that lifts the slide on the carb open as more air comes in so that it accelerates smoothly. here is a link to a new one so that you can see what im talking about. https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=33219634696 ... rue&chn=ps
the diaphrams can dry out and crack or just streach out over time. also if someone at one time cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and didnt pull the diaphram out first the will stretch and do the same thing. ask me how i know :mrgreen: check yours and if it seems old or has a hole in it replace it. I hate those style carbs so i put a honda 300 ex carb on mine, it was a big pain in the ass and i had to rejet it, but it was huge improvement in throttle response