OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 pm 
Supporting Member

Actually look into a 14 bolt front. Not much more than a building a 60 I've heard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:53 pm 
Supporting Member

14 bolts are cheap and you cut the housing and get a Dana 50 which are cheap and have the same outers as a 60. Get them welded on and shafts made and you will have a bad ass front end for the money I would sell my 60 for or less.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:39 pm 
Supporting Member

Yeah i seen them do that on extreme 4x4. Looked fairly simple to do, might look into this more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am 
Rock Crawler

IMO, dont bother with a 14B unless your going to spend the coin to buy good parts to put it together with. Seems silly to put stock dana 50/60 outers on a 14 bolt housing. You know whats going to break first....

Just keep your eyes open on a good deal for a dana 60. You'll find one. Dont be afraid of the balljoint/unit bearing fronts either, they are becoming more and more popular swaps. There is always more support emerging for the balljoint axles...

The only way to build a 14 bolt is with aftermarket shafts, knuckles, inner C's, spindles, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:20 am 
Supporting Member

What about the dana 50 thats in the 99-2003 superdutys. They are pretty cheap but i thought i read thr r&p is about same size of a 44. Unit wheel bearings dont bother me on these axles, looking at all options

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 am 
Supporting Member

The only reason I mentioned a 50 was for the outers to go on a 14 bolt. Those are the same as a 60.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 am 
Rock Crawler

Yah, i believe the ring gear is only 9". I think the major issue with the 50 is the 30 spline inner shafts. Not sure if they make a carrier to accept 35 spline shafts in the D50. Also has the metric bolt pattern.

I'm guessing the 9" ring gear and lack of locker/carrier support, its probably not the easiest axle to build. If you could run one in relatively stock form, it might hold up to some decent abuse, for a cheap price...

Here's some tech specs on one...

Ring gear measures 9.0".
30 Spline Axle shafts.
Gear Ratios: 3.55:1 - 5.38:1
No carrier breaks
Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375"
Pinion shaft splines: 26
Axle shaft diameter: 1.21"
Axle spline diameter: 1.31"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm 
Rock Crawler

Some good tech and discussion on one-tons, Lets move future comments to zjman's thread.... I have comments on the matter, so I'll post them @
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5989

Thanks to everyone who came out.... I hope you had some good times. The weather was near perfect, with only a popup shower in the late evening. This allowed for a lot of trail time before things got wet. We had over 50 rigs in attendance. Which I think is a great number for our trail system. Hopefully we see most of you at future rides.

I think zjman might get the earliest break award, probably less then 45 min after his group left I see him jacking the front end up to change a axle shaft. It was back out fairly quickly..... other then that I didn't hear a whole lot of "major" carnage..... couple busted beads on tires, broken wheel center, Two rear driveshaft ujoints, toyota birfield, a d44 front axle shaft/joint....I'm sure some others.

Feel free to post your videos and pictures in this thread. I'll upload some in the near future.

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 am 
Supporting Member

Anybody get any video of that ls powered buggy. That thing was awesome sounding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 am 
Supporting Member

I wanted to but never caught up with him. If that thing wasn't a single seater I was going to make that dude take me out in it. I doubt he would have let me drive it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next