It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pike info
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:59 pm 
Rock Crawler

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/pike

Pike State Forest All Purpose Vehicle Area
Frequently Asked Questions

When is the area open? The area is open to riding from one half hour before sunrise until one half hour after sunset. The area is closed to all purpose vehicle use annually beginning the day after the end of deer-gun season and ending the thirty-first day of March.

You will need to follow all the forest rules. This is the Division of Forestry's general visitation guidelines.

I’m not from Ohio; can I still ride there? If your state requires you to register your APV and you have it registered in that state, you may ride. If your state doesn’t require you to register your machine, you must obtain a temporary operating permit (good for one year) from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles. West Virginia does not have a similar registration law as Ohio, so residents of that state must obtain a temporary operating permit.
What are the rules and regulations for the forest?

Are there specific rules and regulations for the riding area? Yes. They are listed below:

Trail bikes, motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles are the only vehicles permitted in the designated area. Each vehicle shall display a valid APV or highway license. You should bring a copy of your registration with you (tip - put it in a waterproof bag and store it under your seat with your tool kit).
APV's shall be operated only within the designated area.
No person shall operate an APV having a width greater than 50 inches.
The APV area is open for riding from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset. Unless otherwise posted, areas and trails provided and designated for all-purpose vehicle use at Pike, Richland Furnace and Perry stat forest all-purpose vehicle areas shall be closed to all purpose vehicle use annually beginning the day after the end of the deer-gun season and ending the thirty-first day of March. All transport vehicles and trailers should be parked in the designated parking area for safety concerns.
Maximum speed limits are 5 mph in the parking areas. At no time shall an APV be operated at a speed greater than that necessary to stop the vehicle in the assured clear distance.
All operators shall wear protective headgear and eye protection.
All operators shall have a valid, current motor vehicle operator's license, except that minors between the ages of 12 and 16 may operate an APV if accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian 18 years of age or older. Anyone under the age of 12 is prohibited from riding an APV.
All vehicles shall be equipped with adequate brakes, mufflers, and spark arrestors.
No person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs of abuse shall operate an APV.
No person shall operate an APV in such a manner as to willfully damage or destroy vegetation and trails, or for the purpose of chasing, capturing or killing wildlife.
Operators of APV's shall not carry or transport any firearms or other weapons that are not unloaded and securely encased.
No APV shall be used to carry more passengers than the vehicle was designed to carry (All-terrain vehicles are designed to carry only the operator).
No races or contests are permitted in the APV area.
Operators must report any accidents to the officer in charge or to the forest headquarters (740-493-2441) within 24 hours. This is in addition to the reports necessary to be made to the local law enforcement authorities.
Can I camp there? There is no available camping, although several State Parks offer camping. The closest are Lake White and Pike Lake State Parks. There are private campgrounds nearby.

What about other lodging that is available in the area? There are hotels in the Piketon area.

What vehicles are allowed there? You can ride 3-wheelers, 4-wheelers, trail bikes (dual sport, motocross, etc.) and mountain bikes. No vehicle can be wider than 50 inches. Jeeps, 4-wheel drive trucks, and similar vehicles are not allowed.

Can my children ride with me? Children or passengers are not allowed to ride with you on the same APV unless the manufacturer designs the APV to carry more than one person. Your children must be 12 years of age or older to operate their own machine. All operators of APVs between the ages of 12 and 16 must be accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian 18 years of age or older.

Do I need a driver's license? You need a valid driver's license to be able to ride there. You must also have insurance as required by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. You have to have your machine registered.

How do I get my APV registered? You need to get a registration from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. In order to get it you must have a title. You should have a title if you purchased your vehicle after July 1, 1999 from a dealer. Private sellers are required to provide you with a title if you purchased your APV after July 1, 1999 even if the vehicle is a model earlier than a 1999. If you do not have a title, you must get one before you can register it. Contact your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles for the procedure to obtain a title.

I have a motorcycle with a license plate. Do I need to get an APV registration too? You do not need to get an APV registration if your motorcycle is properly licensed.

I have a Mountain Bike. Do I need to get an APV registration? You do not need a registration for a mountain bike.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Pike info
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 pm 
Puddle Jumper

Pike State Forest now says Max. Width is 62". :)

Post subject: Re: Pike info
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:47 pm 
Rock Crawler

Yes all state forest are 62 now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album