OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shock valving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:29 pm 
Rock Crawler

There isn't a whole lot going on on here right now and one thing I don't understand very well is shocks.

Who here knows what shocks.

I am not happy with the way the Bronco 2 rides. It has a lot of body roll and it just feels really Tippy out on the trail. I've also noticed that the front suspension forks to unload on me.

I am assuming some of it is because it's a little taller than what I'd like for it to be in the front Springs our little Stitch combined with rear springs that are probably a little soft, but I think the correct shocks would make a huge difference the problem is I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I'm currently running stock F150 rear shocks on all four corners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Shock valving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 pm 
Supporting Member

Are u running any sway bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm 
Rock Crawler

I'm in same boat.... I don't know "valving" and proper sizing..... But I'll add some comments.

I don't believe shocks solve body roll or unloading. Ultimately a shock does not "stop" anything, it just dampens it. The vehicle will still lean or move if the weight needs to shift. If you use your hands you can compress shocks slowly, so for crawling you can imagine a shock is doing little besides its job (stop oscillation) ....Sway bars on the other hand, they can control body movement....With that being said shocks will help handling and road driving characteristics.

I'd say the front is just nature of the beast, the suspension. I had great success with a center limit strap on the sidetrack. It would unload at the right angle when the weight shifted just right, particularly going up hills.... Since I limited it. It feels so much better, and I think it climbs better too.

I encourage others to disagree or agree. Post up. Im sure I have much to learn.

- - - sent from highest hill on Heineyfarm.com - - -

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:51 pm 
Supporting Member

I swore we already had a big talk about shocks here on offroadohio.com but my couple minutes of googling didnt bring up the thread I was looking for. this is a shock tech guide for dirtbikes but it really explains the basics of a shock well, even if the tuning section doesnt apply to what we do. http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/mxa- ... easy-steps I think you need a shock with alot of rebound damping and not a lot of compression, the higher rebound should keep the body roll down, while keeping the compression soft will let it ride soft still

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:53 pm 
Supporting Member

wrote all that before I saw everybodys post. I think zj and Clint are right, I think you have a really good setup, you just need some sway bars, and a center limit strap would definetly help too after seeing you on carb hill. I have a very stiff set of rancho or some other "offroad" shock at dads you could try to see if you like them better or worse than your existing setup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:01 pm 
Supporting Member

another thing for trying a simpler fix is you have a leaf spring shock on the front, which is valved way different then a coil spring shock. You could try a set of shocks off the rear of a tahoe? or 4runner and see if that helps ya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:02 pm 
Rock Crawler

This single best part off my buggy hands down I the anti-rock sway bar. controls body roll and keeps the tires on ground. After that was taking the air shocks off and going with coilovers. I know that didn't have info about shock calving but it my two cents

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 pm 
Rock Crawler

Center limiting strap is definitely in the plans but I want to get the suspension sitting a little lower up front, and I want to do away with the lift blocks in the rear which means new leaf springs Outback.

I think you are onto something with the stiffer rebound shock. It seems to me like it bounces back too quickly which shift the weight.

As far as Road handling characteristics it really isn't that bad it has some body roll butt it is somewhat predictable.

Maybe I spent too long in the Kia that was long and wide
and it isn't as bad as I think, but it just seems Dangerously tippy at every off-camber situation. And I am not happy with that feeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm 
Supporting Member

Center limiting strap helped my zj big time, that thing flopped over on its side way to easy before, still not great but I know what to expect, I don't think shocks will cure ur problem but if u order new shocks when ya lower it why not give it a shot, might look into some pricey adjustable shocks that have a knob to adjust valving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 am 
Supporting Member

Is the front of the B2 on coils or leafs?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk