OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: On board air...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:40 am 
Rock Crawler

I'm starting to think about adding on board air to my rig. I know a lot of people either use the old Ford York ac. compressors or a 12volt electric unit but has anyone ever considered retrofitting an air compressor from a semi truck? Does anyone have any input on this, pros and cons? I'm just currious

Post subject: Re: On board air...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:17 pm 
Supporting Member

I wouldnt see why it wouldnt work, I would say most people dont mess with it because they arent familiar or have access to a semi junkyard. any of the old york compressors will work, not just the fords. only downside to semi compressor would be weight? Ive never seen one in person so I couldnt tell ya. grab one get to fabbing and let us know how it works!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:18 pm 
Rock Crawler

--- incoming pirate4x4 comment ---

You're money is best invested in beadlocks. I haven't busted a bead in...well ever with beadlocks.

[/end rudeness]

I do always try to secretly make sure my group has someone with air....so you could be that friend (maybe)..... Also any A/C can work. I've seen basic OEM models work with an oiler in line...the Yorks are just tried and tested self contained and oiled. I'm sure a semi would work, but I'm with Creepycrawler on size and fitment problems..... To go even father with this rant, a High pressure air tank makes more since to me, and ultimately not too bad on cost if you DIY (but it has drawbacks).

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 pm 
Supporting Member

I agree with the bead locks. Worth there weight in gold, here's the compressor I carry, it works great for airing up tires http://m.harborfreight.com/12Volt-150-P ... 69285.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:48 pm 
Rock Crawler

I agree that beadlocks on money well spent but there are other things you can use a proper onboard air system for so to me on board air is worth it. If you have a semi compressor available to use I don't see any reason why it wouldn't but I would bet that you can pick up a factory pump and bracket for your engine, where are York compressor for next to nothing.

The reason that the York's work so well because they have a separate oil reservoir on most AC compressors you have to add a drop of oil to the intake line every time you turn it on or off put an automatic oiler on the intake line

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:25 pm 
Supporting Member

I used to use a 20lb c02 tank with a 150psi regulator and loved it, until it got stolen out of my pickup truck. One of these days Ill replace it and put it on the jeep somewhere. It's nice being able to take it off and carry it somewhere if you need to.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:26 am 
Rock Crawler

I not sure if all are the same but most of the semi compressors don't have a clutch or they are gear driven so it would be running all the time and they are usually very large and heavy just my two cents j

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 am 
Mall Crawler

Dad is running a stock geo a/c compressor on his samurai. I think the oiler he added in line came from harbor freight. I know he has very little coin in the set up and it airs tires up as fast as my compressor in my garage, fairly certain it would run air tools.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 am 
Supporting Member

Thats my issue with the 12v pumps, even my buddys pretty nice one that clamps on the battery is so sloooww. where the converted ac pumps ive seen are super quick and could run air tools

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:40 am 
Rock Crawler

There are larger ones that clamp onto the battery that work a lot faster. Via Air and ARB are also worth the money. I have one of the smaller ARB just for lockers, And one of the larger 12v that clamps on the battery nice basic setup that gas held up for more than a few years. Running a small pressure tank in conjunction helps with airing up, but I would not try running air tools off of them. I have yet to have a trail fix that really needed air. On board welder is another thing all together.