OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: On board air...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:00 am 
Rock Crawler

I havent been on here in a few days and was happy read everyone's input. First off I am well aware that I need beadlocks and on board air is not the solution to my frequent tire problem lol. But they are on the list for this winter. If I don't get a new job in the next couple of months im planning on making my own Weld on's this winter. Along with a whole list of other thing that have to be reworked like suspension travel with out my steering tierod smashing the oil pan like happened a couple weeks ago. Side note pulling your oil pan at a run is not fun. But on board air is just another addition I would like to make for versatility down the road. After making my original post i realized that the semi compressor is constantly running. I was actually doing some research and educating myself on air brake systems for a job I am interested in and the idea popped into my head but i think the account compressor would probably be the best route. Now... on board welder, how to make that happen and keep it light weight? Hummmm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:56 am 
Rock Crawler

Just spend the coin and buy a ready welder for light weight welding solutions.

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 am 
Rock Crawler

Picked up a ready welder a few years ago, will not go in the woods without it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:53 pm 
Rock Crawler

I'll add some more comments to this thread... My 2 cents..... If it's and expedition or road driven vehicle then I support the idea even more. If it's a strait tube vehicle and hardcore only, I know it's convenient, but unless you have air lockers, onboard air is just added weight... So is a welder....

But I'm all for it if I'm spending your money. Buy buy buy!!

- - - sent from highest hill on Heineyfarm.com - - -

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:30 pm 
Supporting Member

excellent point clint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:03 pm 
Supporting Member

I'd love to have the added weight and piece of mind of on board air on the jeep again. I've needed air alot more since I've been riding with trailer queens then when I was a mall crawler. Welders are also super handy as well, Jason's has saved us I'm some really tough spots.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 pm 
Rock Crawler

- - - playing the Devils advocate - - -

I'd say it also depends where you wheel and who you wheel with.... If you are in a remote location alone, I agree get it, pack everything. If you with buddies who have it, no immediate need to have it...if you have a welder back at base, or a ready welder in the truck... Or an 18v impact in truck.... Then onboard air loses some luster....

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for it. But I'm MORE for purpose built rigs. And putting time and money in the right place in your rig....but the key word is "your." So you can do w/e you like.... Also when I say this, it doesn't mean I practice it... Lol. I haven't touched my rigs in 6 months. And I'm being far from practical with my time...

- - - sent from highest hill on Heineyfarm.com - - -

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 pm 
Rock Crawler

I agree with a good chunk of that if you are always riding at a small off-road park like heiney farm
Clay Valley and some of the other parts that we have here in Ohio there isn't much need for anybody to carry that stuff on the trail.

But if you are riding larger Parks like Windrock Harlan Rush and places like Moab van you definitely want somebody in your group if not you to have that stuff.

A cordless impact is great for removing bolts but you can't grind with it and you can't weld with it and that battery goes dead so a large inverter or a good onboard air system makes more sense to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:05 pm 
Rock Crawler

I have had friends have to sped the night out on the trail out in Moab all because of a torn steering link.

Had to wait until the next day for someone to bring out welder, fifteen minutes later they were on the trail again. Last year at Windrock I tore off a shock mount and had to replace an alt, something else I never wheel without being in the truck. when it craps out 20 miles from camp that is a long way to drag it to fix.

Not everybody has to have everything, but if you can make sure that the group has everything it adds a huge piece of mind.