OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4.3 chevy motor info
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:25 pm 
Rock Crawler

That is great to know about the 700r4 i guess the one i had was just a bad one. It was always on road and lost third gear. But if my 400t ever goes id be willing to try the 700 again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:57 pm 
Supporting Member

I would pick a series II buick 3.8, basically its the 95 or newer motor in most all bigger gm cars. they also are really light weight they only weight 22 lbs more than the all aluminum newer gm v6, 205 hp 230 ft lb. they have the 2.8 chevy bolt pattern so finding a 700r4 shouldnt be to hard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:53 pm 
Rock Crawler

Thanks for feedback guys!! I soo welcome it. If/when it happens this would be a SAS swap w/ mild 35ish. I really like the idea of 200-250ish hp. Sounds like everyone is on the TBI. Even the ppl I talk to in person say this....so that will be my current vision...and I think the 700r4 is going to be it.

@creepycrawler. That was my original idea. The 3.8 and possibly one with a SC. The more I dig into it though the more practical the 4.3L sounds. I know the 4.3 seems to be "boring" and used alot, which is kinda counter to what I usually do.... but they are so much more available. So probably more practical for this project.

So how about 700r4 recommendations? Are there years that are better? Or just get any? Any an all future comments about anything welcome.

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm 
Supporting Member

I think the only difference on the 700s are there's a v8 and a v6 version I believe. I might have a couple of them for sale if I run across a 400 and 205 on the cheap. After exploding my transfer case and looking at other options I might go ahead and switch transmissions just for piece of mind but I can't say anything bad about 700s so far.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 pm 
Rock Crawler

Yeah let me know... Not sure if I have budget for it ATM, but I'd be interested. I ultimately think a 700r4 behind a 4.3 should last awhile....push it behind a v8 then you probably higher chance of failure. Everything breaks.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:36 pm 
Supporting Member

Have you looked into Ecotec motors? I've heard you can make good power for them on the cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:56 pm 
Rock Crawler

You can get 200-250 out of an "cavalier" ecotec pretty easy. So yeah I have. I know quite a few rail buggies that use them, and have access to some knowledgeable ppl in that type swap.... They are pretty nice engines....I've toyed with that in the sidetrack....One kicker to the ecotec is transmissions. You can get to an AX15 fairly easy.... Still it gets complicated to a degree and the engine itself is filled with sensors and wires. Well I'd say "more" sensors and wires. Maybe not the case, but I'd say more complex and more to fail then a 4.3.

Also the 4.3 being a v6 will have a better torque curve. And would allow me to have a more drive able high range, and possibly even flat tow a small camping trailer alot easier. I think the ecotec is prefect for a lightweight trail only rig, like a sami or tube buggy.... But for my project I'm leaning toward something like the 4.3.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:18 pm 
Supporting Member

Why not VW diesel? Don't they make a kit for the Tracker?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm 
Rock Crawler

Diesel have their place. I think more for "cool" and for "crawling." I plan to keep a diesel rig, or at least have one running someday. ;) But over generalizing, I dont think you get the wheel speed out of a diesel. Gassers are more more practical in most cases.

Now for dedicated tow rigs, thats a different story. BIG Diesels all the way. ;P

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:42 pm 
Supporting Member

Clint ur getting soft or old, a automatic? U lost ur own arguement lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next