OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:34 am 
Rock Crawler

I am planning on installing my "tsc hydro assist kit" i have my ram 8" stroke and 1.5 bore and i have my 2wd box im just currious if anyone on here has any experience drillimg and tapping them. I have watched a video or two on youtube but would feel a little better about doing it myself with guidance from someone who has done this a time or two.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:09 am 
Supporting Member

I did a jeep box and it wasn't bad. I was pretty nervous but they sell new parts everyday if I got it wrong. Got it perfect on the first try and it's still working on another rig since I went to full hydro

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:31 pm 
Rock Crawler

I've never done a GM.... I only have done toyota.... Just make sure you drill right spots, I think with your work experience it should be common to measure and setup. I understand your doubts, but don't over think it too much, its just drilling and tapping.....Depending on the setup just dont get too crazy on the tap since its often tapered. Take your time.

Hopefully others will chime in also.

--side story---
Kinda funny thing if you never done a toyota there is actually "TOYOTA" cast into front of box. For one spot it is common tongue to say "Drill out your A-hole." (basically drill right in the opening of the A, Then tap it.)

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:06 pm 
Supporting Member

I've tapper a few Saginaw boxes ... my advice have magnets around the hole while drilling and tapping , drill a little and check how deep your at often , have two 1/4" npt taps , start hole with the one , then take your cut off wheel at trim the end of the other so you can tap it bigger without going deeper..... I put grease in the flutes of the tap to catch shavings. once finished use red locktight on the threads

thanks donnie for my new signature !

I'm usually on Facebook or instagram if you need me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:36 pm 
Rock Crawler

That is all great advice and some very smart tips from jeepdaddy. This rig has been a huge learning experience and some of the simplest things ( like grease in the flutes) are soo easy to over look. And Clint you would be the one to drill the A-hole... It's always the quiet ones you have to look out for :lol: