OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm 
Rock Crawler

First off you're just a pussy.
Secondly If you had a locked front ifs, you woukdnt have broken a idler becuase you could have just walked it.

I have broken more front Axel's open then I ever have being locked.

I have broken tracker axles and one tracker housing while open diff. I have haikyuu trackers with dual lockers neither of which have ever broken a front end part.

Dana 28 Ford front open on 33 I was blowing apart lockouts and axle shaft are water the front carrier and never Pop A Lock out or axle again.

Of course both of the above examples where from when the old painted rock was the hardest stuff we were running nowadays I don't think it matters open oarlock I'm probably going to tear it up if I have axles that small.

Most of my broken Axel's while locked come from trying to rock bounce over stuff with ian axle that is too small to take on the task. Like dana 30s with stock shafts and 33s in a Cherokee
D35 ford with bad u joint on 35s.
Yota with stock birfs, with dual case and 36s

I have only ever in my life taken the teeth out on one gear set and that was the 4Runner, that can be contributed to the fact that it had a front Locker kind of I guess. I broke istock Berfield which bound up inside the housing and forced the gears to turn without moving the axles because of the locker which also broke all in the same bounce.

Let's get your Samurai into some really Rocky Terrain, have one tire down in a hole with the other tires spinning in the air while you're trying to rock it out and when the other Tire grabs and sends the shock wave down to the one that is tucked up into your Fender or caught under a rock and it's going to snap something.

Which brings us to another variable in the equation the type of terrain you are going to be running.

Driving Style and type of terrain has a huge effect on what an axle open or locked is going to hold.

I wouldn't be afraid to run 35 on a locked Dana 30 with aftermarket axle shafts. I would risk the ring gear.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:04 pm 
Rock Crawler

I hear what your saying but you'll never get me to agree. Skinny pedal is the variable along with a heavy rig. Donnie is starting to sound like holycaveman.....you been hanging out over the blown Kia???

Yes you'll crawl some stuff and certain thing may be easier..... But just cause you have a locker doesn't mean you'll make everything easy. There WILL come a time where you have to bump it or hop it (even with a locker).....at that time you'll stress it and likely break it.

Also dont forget the scenarios of backing out, and possibly turning, of a downhill or dip ....I guarantee a locked will pop easier then an open with the weight shifted forward and riding coast side of gear. (If Hp)

With an open you'll likely not make it as far and be forced to try other line or winch. I wouldn't trust a locked d30 under a Jku on 35s. I completely agree with that MEME above... lol

Like mytoys suggested in past....A d30 under a Sami would probably be awesome....I've even considered that personally....you do see them in light weight vehicles overseas a lot.

--- sent from the lowest valley at Heineyfarm.com ---

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:46 pm 
Rock Crawler

It has been proven time and time again in my own personal rigs as mentioned above.

In something like the kia where I have more concern than the body and wanting to drive it home, I don't notice the differance much, I don't beat it hard enough to break things in most cases. But in all vehicles that I can compare locked vs unlocked too, I break alot less locked hands down.

Dana 28, dana 35 front, dana 30, and tracker aluminum ifs front.

I've ran them all locked and unlocked. I've broke countless tracker axles and d28 axles and lock outs on open difs. Very similar setups but locked, I've never broke a tracker front except a lock out (likely a faulty one from get go) and on the d28 I still broke lock outs and I think 1 or 2 axles locked. The number reduced significantly after I welded the carrier in my bii that I ran from 2003 until 2006. (Yes I had the same vehicle that long)

I've ran 30s in 2 cherokees, and a yj. Locked on 33s I never broke a front in the yj. Locked on 33s I broke 2 front axles in the cherokee.

Unlocked on 235 75 15 liberator at. I broke 3 shafts.

Ford d35 front. I broke 2 center axle shafts locked on 35s. But I blew numerous lockouts until I went to d44 outters.
D35 ford unlocked in a 2 door explorer I had for 6 months, I broke 3 axles on 31s. Running easier a stuff.

I did have several locker issues in the bii becuase of a cracked housing which had it out of align.
And I had locker issues in the yota becuase someone used a stock centerpin and it had been through myself, Riegel 3 times, and who knows else. When pin broke it also took out a ring gear, which is the only ring gear I've ever broken, and it all started with a factory bird that wasn't designed for 36 inch tires. Once I replaced with new stuff, and chromo shafts I beat the truck to pieces with out issue.

Other than the yota and bii issues due to owner abuse and fatique, I seldom ever have axle issues no matter what vehicle I am running.

A trussesld d30 with chromo shafts under a jku on 35s wouldnt bother me much the way most people ride. No doubt I'd probably break it if I drove like I did 3 years ago, but I'm not so skinny pedal gunho these days atleast on a driver type rig.

Of course skinny pedal and wieght are a factor. But I am talking stock axle under a mostly stock rig with some mud tires open, vs the same rig locked.

Tracker in 31s
Jeep on 33s
Bronco II on 33 ect..

35 is basically max on a 30 no matter what you do to it or what vehicle it's under (that it came factory in)

If you lock that stock 30 and put 35s on it you will break axles.
If you leave it open on 35s, you will break axles.

With me behind the wheel I will break less locked every time.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 pm 
Rock Crawler

"pound for pound toughest axle."

I read that on the Internet, so it has to be true.

--- sent from the lowest valley at Heineyfarm.com ---

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 am 
Rock Crawler

I am not arguing the strength of a Dana 30. We all know they are not pound for pound the strongest axle.

I don't care what front axle is in the equation, it is my belief based on own experiance with the several vehicles and combinations I've had that I break less axle related parts locked... until I try following buggies on 40s in a tracker on 30s, that's when I get over my head and break.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:18 am 
Rock Crawler

Let me rephrase my thoery.

For someone in a rig who doesn't want to beat it to death and still go places, lockers front and rear, will not.only save the body it will save driveline parts. Less bearing required.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:07 am 
Supporting Member

offroadohio wrote:
Let me rephrase my thoery.

For someone in a rig who doesn't want to beat it to death and still go places, lockers front and rear, will not.only save the body it will save driveline parts. Less bearing required.

And then after a few rides you get cocky and follow some buggies around and break it and we have to drag you out/flip you over :lol:

No one on this board wheels a rig harder than Thacker and he wheeled a full bodied runner for years with open diff 5.29 and stock shafts/birfs, never broke the front. As soon as he locked it he broke 11 birfs/axles and at least 3 r&p and a locker in one season :roll:

You guys are either beating a dead horse again or still can't figure out which end of a turd to pick up :lol:

If you lock anything, everything gets stressed down stream. Everything breaks. Spend your money wisely and have fun, life is short, play hard :mrgreen:

Buggy and Rzr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 am 
Rock Crawler

Until you get cocky and try to follow buggies.

Exactly, but not everyone does that. We all. dont beat our shit to a pulp. More stuff breaks becuase you force your rig farther. And that's not what I'm talking about here.

If you are running tar hollow and clay valley open you probably never break. If you lock it and then take off to harlan you probably going to break. That isn't becuase the locker, it's becuase you bound it up in the lion's den and before becuase you were open you would not have attempted the lion's den.

Most of us here simply like to push our stuff as far as we can go, and we will upgrade if we continuously break. Of course a 30 on 35s locked, or what ever axle will break driving like that.

I'm referring to vehicles getting driven like most jks, my kia, creepycrawler 4 runner , etc. They are not built with the intended purpose to go as far as they can. Thier intended purposes are to get you places and drive home.

Even BillG jeep for example he was running 35s locked with chromo shafts, never broke a shaft to my knowledge but he did break a few ring and pinions.

As you yourself has said once you break a ring gear it seems they always break easier becuase the housing flexes or what ever it is you believe happens.

He also found out later on that the ARB was broken, and we believe that could have been part of the cause as to why the ring gears we're getting broken in his Dana 30. I still think a few broken ring gear in all the years that bill ran a locked Dana 30 are pretty good odds for as lunch Wheeling as Bill did with it.

If you take those odds and put them into a jeep that is going to see the woods once a month and won't be running the types of trails that most of us try to run I don't think you're going to see very many broken parts.

I have already given examples of personal experience where what I believe has proven to be true on my own personal vehicles. This is like an argument over whether or not Jeep or Toyota is better it will be ongoing with examples of each one being better than the other and it all boils down to personal preference.

My personal preference is to put a locker in with a sensible tire size for what I am trying to do

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:04 am 
Supporting Member

I guess I never really replied to the last couple pages of this thread. Honestly, being on vacation I didn't look at it too hard.

To start, my intent for my rig is to have a comfortable place to carry myself and my wife (and kids when they can join us) once a month or so into the woods and enjoy a day or two of wheeling. I am perfectly comfortable holding the camera while other try the hard stuff at Harlan or wherever. I'll be the first to admit I got in over my head at Southington in February when I took the rocker damage. Reflecting on that, I know better what the limits are with my rig. This is all part of the learning process since I am new to off-roading, and I'm sure there are many more lessons to learn. Those of you who have been out with me know that I'm not afraid to push my rig, I just need to learn the limits. :lol: Besides, this thing goes pretty well as it is.

I most certainly agree that this rig is my daily driver for now, and it needs to carry me to and from those weekends and still get me to work and back until I can afford another option. Busting a u joint isn't a big deal, even a R&P wouldn't be so bad as long as pulling the driveshaft would let me drive her home and to work until I could make the fix. Honestly, I'm not too concerned about body damage either, as long as the doors open and the windows stop the weather from getting in I'm good.

I also agree that unless you have a real sense of your limits, no matter what you do you can break something every time you go out into the woods. Regardless if you are locked, unlocked, moly'ed, etc. I like to think that I have the sense to know what to challenge and when to stand to the side and enjoy the show.

With all that, my plan is to continue joining the monthly rides as I continue to make upgrades and fix what breaks. I don't plan on putting any more money into the D30 than I have to, but I may truss it and put in new shafts if that is what it takes to make it live for the next few years. We'll just have to wait and see. I do plan to put a winch on the front and skids under it in the mean time.

My ultimate goal is to have a comfortable rig to wheel and explore without worry about breaking every time I go out. It certainly will not be a rock rig, but I do have visions of driving Moab, Inuvik and the Arctic Circle. Call it an overland adventure with a few rocks, trees and mud holes thrown in.... for now :mrgreen:

Daaaaaaaaamn cad program for sliders. #jklife Lol

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:30 am 
Rock Crawler

If you are serious about expedition and stuff later on this fall we are hoping to run the Daniel Boone Backcountry byway it's a hundred plus miles of back roads with about one-third of it be 4 wheel drive required. It is down in the Red River Gorge area of Kentucky which should be about four and a half hours from you.

Also next song we are planning to make a five hundred mile Journey around the border of Virginia and West Virginia last stop being a rather tough and Technical Rock Trail.

Both of thide are pending the Kia gets fixed or I have something else that is capable of putting that kind of Road mileage in

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next