OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:35 pm 
Rock Crawler

wwddnnone wrote:
3) Plenty of debate can still be had on the longevity of shaft and R&P longevity against an open or locked diff. I would actually like to hear more on this issue. My gut says that turning both wheels with a given amount of power would be less stressful on the R&P than if I run that same amount of power through an open diff and the power is being transferred between the two shafts alternately based on which tire is slipping/gripping. Seems like alternating the power application across the diff would be a lot of stress. Again, this is just my opinion, I don't have any real world experience with my theory.

That is pretty much my thoughts on it as well but generally speaking once you put a locker in you realize you can push your vehicle farther which in turn has you trying harder stuff and you end up pushing the limits of the axle.

If you have one tire in the air spinning at 30 miles an hour and then it grabs traction you're going to put a lot of stress on that shaft.

I have came to this Theory after many years of Wheeling with many different vehicles on many different tire sizes both opened and locked.

But it is a hard Theory to prove because like I said usually when you put a locker in you start pushing the vehicle farther.

As far as the brand of U-joints I always run spicers. They can usually be had for around $20. I never run that stores in house brand. I have never personally ean a moog U-joint. But if I had to guess they would probably be the next step down from a Spicer

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:42 pm 
Supporting Member

I hope ur not taking the jeep on vacation cause that shaft is always spinning, and if a stock shaft fails u risk the chance of ripping ur balljoints out and basiclly screwed. Chromos for 400 bucks is a no brainer to me, cheap insurance, just use ur brain when wheeling, heros usually fail and x2 on spicers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 pm 
Supporting Member

Not taking the Jeep, taking the wife's Pilot.

If I got anything left over after this vacation, I'll pull the trigger on the new shafts and rebuild the stockers as spares.

Daaaaaaaaamn cad program for sliders. #jklife Lol

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:30 am 
Mall Crawler

I agree with Donnie on the locker idea. If you have same vehicle on the same obstacle it will crawl gently what used to take a beating to get up which should be much less stressful. As far as the longevity of the r&p I think that the biggest factor is the driver. I know guys that can kill anything with a briggs and stratton and guys that have ran 35's on a D30 without much trouble. So I guess the question is how fond are you of the skinny pedal?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:42 am 
Rock Crawler

I don't agree with that locker theory mainly because that last topic....the skinny pedal. A Jku weighs ~4500 lbs. A d30 can not hold that reliably. If you know when to winch or know never to gas it hard turning...maybe....but very unlikely.

Another factor against a basic locker in a DD, is rode driving in winter. If you drive 4 high on ice with a locker, it can be hard to handle. A d30 isn't worth a selectable locker (to me).

By the way I'm asking 3400. Probably do 3200 without hubs....maybe less without brakes or knuckles.....still don't know if that's a good choice for you....but something to think about. I may consider putting it under a tracker if I have it too much longer...... If you never plan to run over a 37" and/or hemi swap then a d44 is a valid option. I would recommend a 1ton in the rear if you get in the 37" range.

Also Zach you never showed me a cheap front 1ton for a Jku. Especially a Jku you plan to road drive. Unless your Ian from eXtreme, you ain't getting it cheap.

--- sent from the lowest valley at Heineyfarm.com ---

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:24 pm 
Supporting Member

You should said a cheap 1 ton and I felt our thread was getting sidetracked to talk about axles in general since everybody else was talking about axles in everything besides a JK. Besides JKU owners are made of money!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm 
Supporting Member

I also disagree with Donnie, I think unlocked is harder on the differential and easyer on axle shafts where locked is easyer on axle shafts and harder on the diff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm 
Supporting Member

Hahaa just for fun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:20 pm 
Rock Crawler

Creepycrawler wrote:
I also disagree with Donnie, I think unlocked is harder on the differential and easyer on axle shafts where locked is easyer on axle shafts and harder on the diff

I never said locked was going easier on gears. Becuase it probably isnt. If full torque is applied equally it's forcing the ring gear to turn. If axle and locker don't fail gears will, if it's in a position as such.

But if you are in that potion then you are beyond the axles limits in the first place.l, and open you probably wouldn't have made it that far to test it

If you are running tar hollow trails open on 33s and bouncing up powerline hill you have a good chance of breaking an axle, or the spiders. If you are locked in 33s chances are you are crawling right up it which is applying less force to all axle components becuase there is no rev limiter action, and no tire spinning at 40mph slamming down and grabbing traction applying all of that rotation force to the inner workings of you axle.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 pm 
Supporting Member

true, but look at it this way, Ive ran alot of samis, and never broken a front shaft, ever. And Im very hard on the throttle on hills. Im pretty sure I would have broken a axle with it locked up front, beating on it as hard as I have. Now I dont have any proof of this, but thats my gut feeling, if your spinning hard and smack a bank with one tire and a open diff, it sends power to the other side and most likely doesnt break, you just get stuck. same situation, you smack the same bank and that tire stops, it cant send power to the other side, and it snaps. Now I do agree youll go much farther without breaking stuff with a locked rig if you just take it easyer. I guess it all comes down to driving style. I like hammering it up a hill or into a mud hole. and I could double lock my rig and putt putt and go farther than open, but I know as soon as I cant make a hill or a hole Im gonna hammer down and then Im gonna break something. I think It depends alot on the Vehicle too. Id have alot more faith in a locked toyota solid axle then I do locking my ifs yota

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next