OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lock outs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:10 pm 
Rock Crawler

Looking to get some opinions on lock outs. Some back ground on the vehicle is an 01 dakota sas with a 79 dana 44 ford high pinion. It has 4.10 gears and mosure chromoly axle shafts. I run warm premium gold face lock outs. So far in about a year I have broke 3. One took out a stubs haft one took out the wheel hub. I'm looking for an upgrade with out jumping to the yukon chromoly one and break the bank.

I have solid drive pucks or flanges I install to keep wheeling but there difficult to get in and out. I do drive this to stillwell from my house which is a 15 min drive doing the speed limit. The axles have yukon neeles joints which you man know shouldnt be driven down the road spinning. If I could get the solid pucks to slide in and out I would just take them in and out. There a little rusty so I'm wondering if that's the issure. I'm gonna clean them up and try.

With all that being said let's hear about your lock out hub experiences.

Post subject: Re: Lock outs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:39 pm 
Rock Crawler

Id clean the drive flanges really well and see if they go in and out easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:53 pm 
Rock Crawler

Clean them up and use anti seize. a little gray on the fingertips is a small price to pay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm 
Supporting Member

They slugs are usually bound up. I have found it easiest to jack the tire up rock the tire forward /reverse as you pull the puck out. Longer bolts that you can use help too.
I have mile marker hubs on my CTD. I did a free spin hub spindle conversion on it. I tried using the stock Ford hubs but they kept dragging and bts kept coming loose with locktite, my buddy had the mile marker laying around. They work allot better. But that is a 60 vs 44 hub also.

Buggy and Rzr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:33 pm 
Rock Crawler

The slugs will be my fist try since I already have them. It's only 4 bolts per side I could do that while airing down.

On the topic of 60 vs 44. A guy I wheel with has the warn preium his and his are huge compared to mine. Big differance in size of the hub.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 pm 
Supporting Member

I only run a 30 spline at the hub. Probably same as you. I have thought i have broken something in the front 3 times since the hub conversion. Disconnect (long side) needed to side gears welded together or they pull apart. Second time Ford lock issues, last time stuck on the side of a.mt in bfe wv way overloaded (didn't make the pull up the mountain. Jackknifed backing down slide into ditch driver's side. Cummins wot clutch dump and all kinds of fun pooping sounds from the front. But all looks good. I do love having lockouts on the CTD. I hate lockouts on trail rigs.
Big question is if you upgrade hubs or slugs where does your weak link move to. Hubs are easier to change than r&p or expensive shafts ujoints? At least your fuse has easy access.

Buggy and Rzr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 am 
Supporting Member

Clean and lube em. Lock outs suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 am 
Mall Crawler

I know I'm resurrecting a thread from a few months ago, but I'm pretty sure who the OP is and I'm pretty sure I've been mentioned a few posts up.

I run a 60, not a 44, so this might not apply. Front is welded, lockouts allow me to drive on pavement.

I used to run the stock Ford lockouts. One was damaged when I got the axle, so I made that side permanently engaged. At some point in deep water (creek at Badlands?) a seal failed and I got water in the other side. A year later the lockout wouldn't engage, removed it and found rusted parts and mud inside the hub. Replaced all seals and bearings and bought Mile Marker lockouts. They were cheap, especially with my employee discount at a big box auto parts store, so why not? I wheeled them less than one day, ripped all the splines out of the internal lockout parts, the ones keeping the lockout engaged on the one side, on the other side the snap ring holding the lock out together was mangled so that side came out in pieces. I returned them, got my money back.

I now have the Yukon Hardcore ones. Internals are chromoly, and I love the design. IF I manege to break them, they should stay engaged. Really, the only negative about them is the price, but a personal friend of mine is a Yukon dealer and he cut me a deal. Have not had a chance to test them yet, though, because I found major damage to my front suspension that will probably keep me out of action until spring. If I wheel it in the shape it is in, I might repeat Spectacular Breakage. Once was enough.

edit to add: evidently I need to update my signature. Wilbur is gone, Sparkles sports 33s and Xena has been added to the stable.