OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm 
Rock Crawler

Hey I dont know if this is the right area to post this, but I had a thought after the countless opening posts this forums sees.....

Idea:
Don't allow new members to "start" a topic. Make there first post be a reply in the "New Members" section. Start a New members welcome thread that lists the basic information about Offroadohio and make this be the "reply" thread.

I have been on other forums which do this. I don't know if it's possible, or easy with ORO.....but its a suggestion. I think it might help force some to read before starting a post, but then again I'm sure some might get confused with it. What do you think?

Another idea
This just popped into my head as I was typing....make a banner at the top of the "new members" section kinda like the for sale section. Make some suggestions or notes about ORO....like "ORO doesn't disclose public land" or "View the regional forums for private wheeling areas".....Also maybe mention that the new member should say what they wheel or something.....

Just some thoughts, feedback welcome.

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm 
Supporting Member

x2 on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 pm 
Rock Crawler

I can do both, but the first is a little bit of a PITA with this software.

90% of the time I'm surfing with my phone these days becuase fo work, kids sports and other stuff. So if someone wants to come up with something for the top and post it here I can copy and paste it in.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:44 pm 
Rock Crawler

offroadohio wrote:
...... So if someone wants to come up with something for the top and post it here I can copy and paste it in.

I'll take a stab at the "#2" idea, see below. Anything like this might help. You can always add/adjust as needed. Anyone with other suggestions are welcome to chime in........

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

New Members introduce yourself

Post Suggestions

1. Tell your location, ie city
2. Tell what you Drive
3. Say where you have wheeled, or what you like to do
4. Browse regional forums <link> to see areas some member's wheel. Areas broken out in "regions" so scrolling and browsing required.
5. DON'T ask for areas to publically wheel. To protect areas and keep abuse to a minimum, locations will not be disclosed.
6. Stay active. Members often post trail rides or gatherings.

These are just general suggestions, and not All are required, but you should READ above. Also as a side note, members with 0 posts are added to a list to auto-delete in 6 months.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

At least something like that I would say.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm 
Rock Crawler

Donnie I see you added this to the new members.... the old link was in the post before and some crazy characters from when you restored a backup..... So I edited the above for the "new" host links, and corrected the characters. So you can cut an copy it now, when you get a chance.

Another suggestion, when someone clicks the "regional forums" they see a list of "active topics" of the regional area first. I don't think is needed with the "active topics" button above. For the new members it might be more easy to just remove the "active topics from that regional forum, like not show it or something. I'm sure you can change this showing under ACP>Forums>Board index> Regional Forum > enable active topic=no......or something like that.....

If you did this, when they click the regional area, all they see is the Northeast Southeast southwest etc etc.....Might be more strait forward for "noobs."

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:33 pm 
Rock Crawler

Heiney5 wrote:
Donnie I see you added this to the new members.... the old link was in the post before and some crazy characters from when you restored a backup..... So I edited the above for the "new" host links, and corrected the characters. So you can cut an copy it now, when you get a chance.

Browsing some of the new members posts, noticed the "Forum Rules" has a broken link and characters are still goofy...... Just an FYI.

Profile Personal album