OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:07 pm 
Rock Crawler

So over the years I've used numerous places online to do shopping....Figured I'd open up a topic to discuss these.

Rock-auto

I was on a kick of rock-auto there for a while...... Its hard to beat there prices, and I still use them often. But the catch I found is warranty, core, and returns. This goes for all online places. I do think rock auto can really jack up shipping costs (generally because items come from multiple places). It also seems like it takes a good week for me to get anything. They are really good if you can plan out the project and know exactly what you need.

Ebay
I've come to conclude all the new stuff is generally sold third party. So you'll often find things listed that is just as easy to go to the sellers direct site. IE JCwhitney, or summit racing, etc. Shipping rates/times vary. I often fall for the buy it now options for odd items, then come to find out its coming directly from china....sucks. Ebay is really loosing its luster to me. I still use it for select items and occasional for used items.

Summit Racing
If it's new and its not discounted anywhere, I prefer summit. Mainly because there local, and the local warehouse. I can order something at 4pm, and generally have it by the next day (if instock).

Amazon
More recently I've been on an amazon kick. Last year before christmas I signed up as an amazon prime member. Prime offers you free shipping, some free movie streaming, free radio streaming, and many other features. It's an annual fee that sucks, but I've saved that in shipping. I just recently bought a slave cyclinder that no local part store could source easily, at half the cost, and paid $4 for next day shipping.

Anyone else have any inputs/reviews on any of the above or sites I may not have mentioned??? Post them up if so.

ImageAlso find us on facebook.com/heineyfarm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:10 pm 
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to add....for the Toyota fanatics that dont know.....summit sells some trail gear stuff. Sometimes even has it instock and if you spend over $99, free shipping. That can save some coin.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:22 pm 
Supporting Member

Jegs is local just like Summit. I can order it before 11pm and it'll be at my house the next day if they have it at the warehouse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:45 pm 
Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of Amazon. I've done 90% of my Christmas shopping there for the past 10 years or more, but I always check pricing between them and the manufacturer. I haven't pulled the trigger on Prime yet, seems I can usually put enough stuff into my order to get the free shipping and I don't need the movies, books, etc. that come with it. I probably have a few thousand dollars worth of stuff in my 'save for later' cart.
You can often find the same product for the same price or better from the manufacturer, if that is the case then I will purchase direct just to build that relationship and make returns, claims or help easier if needed.

I've never used RockAuto, I've looked, but never ordered. It always seems their part price is decent, but I'm usually put off by their shipping fees.

Northridge 4x4.
Almost always the best price on branded merchandise, plus they have a warehouse in KY so shipping is generally quick.

I haven't been too active on Ebay, generally just to sell stuff, not much on buying there. I don't keep a balance in my Paypal account so it always seems to be a pain to bid on something then have to transfer money over to pay if I win the item.

Daaaaaaaaamn cad program for sliders. #jklife Lol

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:17 pm 
Rock Crawler

I get all my parts on rockauto. If you get good at it you can knock most of thier shipping charges down and usually even shipped it's still cheaper than the parts store.

I've had to return cores, warrenties, defects, and parts I just didn't need without issue

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:08 am 
Rock Crawler

I use Amazon prime and ebay. I like the ease and simplicity of ebay. I've used RA but that Damn shipping just irritates me still.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:04 am 
Supporting Member

Rock Auto. I play around with the shipping to get it to come from one place. When shipping to a business address the shipping turns out to be less (for me atleast) than the estimated shipping cost before you order.
Core returns are simple, you go on their site and print out the shipping label from them. Box it and drop it off at a Fedex store. I think non-core returns are just as simple if you do it within 30 days, after that they won't accept it.
You choose what kind of quality parts you want. They have everything from chinese junk to top of the line parts.
You can always do a google search and find a coupon code for 5 % off your order.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm 
Supporting Member

Good Idea Clint! Ill post up my 2 cents

Rockauto is my go to online retailer, I see what I can get it there for, and go from there. if your careful with when ordering you can usually get your parts shipping from one or two places. I just broke a Idler arm that I got from there that had around 100 road miles and 5 or so trail miles. Im gonna try to get my money back, but my previous experience with returns was terrible, but that was 5 years ago. I actually refused to use them for 2 years because of it. But the super cheap prices eventually pulled me back in.

Amazon is hit or miss for me as far as autoparts are concerned, Ive got some screaming deals from here too though, the clutch kit for my racecar was a scratch and dent and cost me like 30$ to my door.

Ebay, well like you said Ive about given up on it, only thing Ive had luck with is used parts and I just recently got my ball joint spacers from them for a good price, they also have good deals on wheel spacers and lug nuts, Ive spent a fortune on lug nuts over past two years, seemed every vehicle I owned had multiple sizes and styles of lug nuts and required two socket sizes to do anything. Ive replaced em all so far, except for the Poor Runner, and its got matching size nuts now, so its gonna say rusty lugnutted, at least for awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:07 pm 
Supporting Member

I refuse to buy anything from rockauto, i buy all my vehicle parts from my local advance auto, why? Well if theres a problem i just take it back, cores just take it back and the one in new lex actually has real mechanics that work there and know what theyre talking about, and the kicker is they now have a rewards program, its aersome, and u order parts online and click pick up at store and ya enter a p20 code saves you 20% and trt30 saves you 30% and u can use ur loyalty rewards at same time, those two codes are good all the time but some times ya can save more by using one versus the other, it just depends how much ur spending, trust me, parts will be cheaper than rockauto after discount and u dont have to wait days on parts, i order them and by time i get to store they have em sitting on counter
As far as amazon goes its hit or miss, i usually check between them and ebay, prices are usually same but shipping is usually free with ebay
Now ebay is great but ive noticed alot of people have been charging shipping and its starting to blow but they usually cheaper than most places
Ive otdered a bunch of parts lately from barnes4wd, they have fast shipping and great prices, i used to buy alot from ruffstuff but after comparing the two i feel barnes is better, even when ruffstuff runs a big sale barnes is cheaper cause ruffstuff rapes ya on shipping
I recently placed a large order from east coast gear supply as well and got treated really well, ordered usa standard gears and they emailed me and waz out of stock but had yukons and waz wanting to know if i wanted them at no cost, hell yeah that was a 100 dollar upgrade for free, but my second order wasnt as big money wise and they charged me a 30 dollar handling fee but free shipping so i thought that was kinda bs, Sorry for the long post but u all crazy for not taking advantage of advance auto deals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 pm 
Rock Crawler

I agree with buying local or at a "big box store" for the warranty issues. It's so much easier taking something back and swapping it.... Another reason I do it. Or if your on the road, it's more likely to find a place....

I do use the rock auto trick to try to source from same warehouse....doesn't work that often. I do like the variety rock auto allows. So if I want Wagner or Monroe stuff, I generally go there....but often they aren't that much cheaper on the private label after you factor shipping.....

I have used the advance auto online with discount codes a time or two. That's a Good pointer. I have friends who are religious with it.

+1 on Barnes

--- sent from the lowest valley at Heineyfarm.com ---

Profile Personal album