OffRoadOhio.com

Ohio's premier OHV community
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 am 
Rock Crawler

BlackJeep84 was a fairly new member of our little slice of heaven here. Not sure if anyone got to meet him in the time he was here. He come over and dropped off some cash for two ORO decals a couple weeks back. I sent him a PM thursday to let him know I got the decals and wanted to meet up with him to pass his to him. Turns out early thursday morning he was passanger in a vehicle that passed in a no passing zone and struck another head on. He and the guy driving were both pronounced dead at the scene. I didnt hear about this until today so I was unable to attend any of the services.

Here is the article the local news ran.

http://www.whiznews.com/content/news/lo ... l-accident
Quote:
It was a deadly start to the day in Perry County Thursday morning.

The Lancaster Post of the Highway Patrol says two people were killed in a head-on collision on State Route 13 just north of Somerset at 8:15 am. Troopers identify the fatally injured victims as 24-year-old Franklin Merckle and 25-year-old Jeremy Penrod, both of New Lexington.

Lt. Gary Lewis says a black SUV driven by Merckle was traveling south on State Route 13 near Stone Quarry Road went left of center, in a no passing zone, striking a white mini van traveling north. The van was driven by 29-year-old Gary Coleman of Stockport.

"It's important to note that it is preliminary, but we do know that from a cause of the fact is that passing played a large factor in that," said Lt. Gary Lewis.

Both Merckle and Penrod were pronounced dead at the scene. Coleman and a passenger 42-year-old Jackie Genske of New Lexington were seriously injured and taken by Medflight to Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus. A third victim, 25-year-old Jeremy Coleman of Stockport, suffered non-life threatening injuries and was taken to Licking Memorial Hospital in Newark.

"This is the first traffic fatality in Perry County this year. We are reminding motorists to drive the posted speed limit," said Lewis

Here is his obituary
NEW LEXINGTON: Jeremy Arthur Penrod, 25, of Conrad Apartments, Fowler Street, New Lexington, Ohio, died Thursday, March 4, 2010 at State Route 13 near Somerset after an automobile accident.

Born September 5, 1984 in Zanesville, Ohio to Arthur and Arlene Baker Penrod of New Lexington.

Jeremy was a factory worker for Hirschvogel Inc. of Columbus, Ohio

Survived by fiance, Savannah Morgan of the home; 3 month old son, Memphis Penrod of the home; two brothers, Rick Penrod of Ohio, and Marty Penrod of New Lexington; three sisters, Candy Brown of Zanesville, Jeryl Clark of New Lexington, and Shelley Gable of New Lexington; several nieces and nephews.

Preceded in death by nephew, Bradley Penrod.

Calling hours will be held from 2-4 p.m. & 6-8 p.m. on Friday, March 5, 2010 and 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Roberts Funeral Home, 304 Mill Street, New Lexington, Ohio. Funeral service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 6, 2010 at the funeral home with Pastor Larry Ruh officiating.

Burial will be in New Lexington Cemetery.

For those of you with myspace here is is
http://www.myspace.com/326679246

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 am 
Rock Crawler

I remember seeing it on the news but they did not put the names on at that time, incredibly tragic when anyone dies this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:16 am 
Rock Crawler

We knew both of them that passed away. Franlin merckle 24 was the driver of the vehicle. They both left children under the age of 6 months. The drivers of the van gave a statement that the "suv" was left of center, with no other vehicles involved, they where the only two vehicles on the road. They had tried to avoid the accident by going clear to the shoulder of the road but could not avoid the accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:26 am 
Rock Crawler

Yeller do you know penrods family? If so will they need any assistance in anything?

I have the two ORO decals he ordered here at the house, They are rightfuly his and Im trying to figure out what I should do with them. Had I known Id stopped by and dropped them with his casket.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 am 
yeller wrote:
We knew both of them that passed away. Franlin merckle 24 was the driver of the vehicle. They both left children under the age of 6 months. The drivers of the van gave a statement that the "suv" was left of center, with no other vehicles involved, they where the only two vehicles on the road. They had tried to avoid the accident by going clear to the shoulder of the road but could not avoid the accident.

Sullysranger on here works with me...he'd known them both for a long time..and told me the same...hes pretty messed up over it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 am 
Rock Crawler

Wow, I heard about that here on the news the day it happened.....I even commented to Tiffany how we've been right there and wheel on Stone Quarry road

It is always tragic when something like this happens

Rest In Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:55 am 
Rock Crawler

Not the same SQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:10 am 
Rock Crawler

BILLG wrote:
Not the same SQ

Oh, either way it's a sad story.....

His family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers

Lots of other "bolt ons"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:01 pm 
Rock Crawler

Yes this happened on ST rt 13 between somerset and thornville,

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:05 am 
Rock Crawler

I know his fiance and would have been father in law. Her name is savanna. I will see if I can get in contact with her or her father and see what she may need.